Strawberries can be dried for the winter with a berry or leaf. Dry berries will be a treat for tea, and dry leaves will become the tea itself. The biggest problem is drying the berries.
How can I dry strawberries
Juicy berries are difficult to dry. A person who decides to stockpile for the winter with the help of drying has many dangers. The slightest oversight - and the berries will rot or mold. At the same time, if you artificially create too high a temperature, you can lose a lot of valuable substances, for which the reserves are produced.
- Preparatory stage. Before you start to dry strawberries or strawberries, you need to prepare them. The main condition is not to wash, because berries that are saturated with extra moisture can become sour, ferment, rot, or mold. For clean housewives, this condition often seems unacceptable. However, drying berries requires a special approach and a look at the procedure for harvesting.
- Strawberries or strawberries intended for drying should be picked with clean hands and in clean dishes. Moreover, you need to choose just such berries that hang high above the surface of the soil. It is from the soil that you can get the main danger - parasites. Feel free to take the berries for drying, located at a distance of 5 cm from the surface of the earth. The remaining fruits, located below, must be collected for deeper processing or for fresh consumption with preliminary washing.
- In the preparatory phase obligatory sorting of berries and removal of garbage and leaves are included. Only whole, not overripe berries should be selected without the slightest sign of damage, mold or rot.
- Drying at natural temperature. This can only be done at a sufficiently high temperature (+25 and above), low humidity and preferably in the wind. It is not allowed to place berries in the sun: direct sunlight can destroy many of the beneficial properties of berries.
How to dry strawberries
This method requires the most time and attention. You have to keep an eye on the weather all the time and transfer the berries from the street to the room and back. For this reason, it is best to lay them on fabric or paper that are placed on an easily portable wooden or metal base. The fabric and paper should not be dyed, since dye can adversely affect the beneficial properties of strawberries or strawberries. It is best to use unbleached brown paper or gauze.
Strawberries or strawberries can also be dried in the oven. This is an easier and faster way to produce dried berries. After the preparatory phase, the fruits are laid out on a baking sheet and placed in the oven. The process begins with a temperature of 40 degrees. In this mode, the berries are dried for 2-3 hours. Then you need to get a baking sheet, turn the berries over and continue the process for another 2 hours, but already at a temperature of 60 degrees.
Time is given tentatively. It all depends on the size and condition of the fruit. The degree of readiness can be judged by color and grains. Initially, light red fruits change color to bright burgundy. At the same time, the grains become bright and shiny.
Dried strawberries are placed in a glass jar, cloth bag or paper bag. Do not forget that not only people like such a tasty product. They will be interested in various insects, because dried strawberries, and especially strawberries, emit a strong smell. Ants, cockroaches, and ognevki can come to him — small butterflies like moths who prefer to eat cereals, flour, and dried fruits instead of fur coats. For this reason, the most reliable way to store fragrant berries are glass jars.
Tea made from strawberry and strawberry leaves is an excellent way to quench thirst and improve the condition of the body. Strawberry leaf is used for:
- sore throat (rinse);
- stomach cramps;
- peptic ulcer disease;
- liver diseases;
The leaf has a particularly beneficial effect on the digestive system.
Strawberry-strawberry tea is recommended to drink for everyone who has reduced intestinal activity.
It is usually recommended to harvest the leaf during flowering plants. However, this rule is not absolute. Just during this period, the plant is most active and filled with a maximum of beneficial properties. For strawberries and strawberries, the ripening period of the fruits does not fundamentally differ from flowering, so that you can collect leaves both during flowering and fruiting. But after the fruits have ripened, it is undesirable to collect leaves, since they lose their beneficial properties.
For drying, you need to collect leaves so that they do not need to be washed. After collecting them, it is enough to decompose them somewhere in a dry place, but away from direct sunlight. It is better to store them in a closed glass jar. They are less liked by various insects. However, the ognevka may well lay eggs in them, and cockroaches can choose them as a refuge.
Where dried strawberries can be used
Dried strawberries, despite observing the drying regime, lose some of their beneficial properties. However, it retains aroma and richness of taste.
Dried strawberries and strawberries can be used in:
- pies as a filling and a component of the dough;
- making ice cream;
- the formation of various cocktails;
- making homemade sweets with berry filling.
All these exquisite culinary masterpieces can be combined with strawberry leaf tea. Since the leaves are useful, but do not have a bright aroma of berries, you can add blackcurrant, linden, lemongrass, raspberry leaves to tea. Based on this tea, you can create a cocktail with dried berries with the addition of ice cream.
Strawberry leaves: useful properties
Here are just some examples of how you can use small plants with fragrant fruits. If you also prepare for the winter, for example, blackcurrant mashed with sugar, then your chances of creating culinary works of art will increase several times.