We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Gardeners who grow strawberries often experience declining yields. Many people believe that only the weather affects strawberry yield, but this is not the case. There are other factors that negatively affect the fruiting of the berry. Therefore, before planting it, you need to figure out how you can increase the strawberry harvest.
Is it possible to achieve an increase in strawberry yields?
Some inexperienced gardeners do not know that you can independently increase the fruiting of strawberry seedlings. Most often, berry yield deteriorates due to the following reasons:
- Growing plants in the same place. Gardeners, who have been cultivating strawberries for years, recommend replanting them to a new place every 3-4 years. This will protect the plant from dangerous pathogens and accelerate fruit ripening. For transplantation, areas with fertile soil are selected.
- Renewal of plantings with old bushes. Some gardeners use old bushes when planting strawberries. This cannot be done, since such bushes grow worse and have a low yield level.
- Planting a large number of varieties. Many gardeners plant many different strawberry varieties on the site. This negatively affects the yield, since different varieties of strawberries need to be looked after in different ways. It is recommended to plant no more than 2-4 proven varieties.
Ways to Increase Your Strawberry Yield
There are several ways that you can improve the fruiting of strawberries grown outdoors.
Choosing high-yielding varieties
It is no secret that the yield depends on the characteristics of the planted varieties. Therefore, for planting, the most productive varieties of berries are selected, which bear fruit for a long time. These berries include:
- Marshal. A distinctive feature of the plant is considered not only its fruiting, but also resistance to common diseases. Also, the Marshal is resistant to temperature drops up to 25-30 degrees of frost.
- Holiday. This variety was created by breeders from America in the second half of the last century. Each ripe Holiday berry weighs about 50 grams; 1-2 kilograms of fruit are harvested from the bush.
- Crown. Belongs to the group of dwarf berries with small bushes. The average weight of the berries is 350-400 grams. At the same time, the variety has a high yield level, which allows collecting 2-3 kilograms of strawberries from the plant.
Compliance with crop rotation
To get a large harvest, it is necessary to observe the correct crop rotation. Strawberry bushes are gradually aging and therefore lose part of the harvest from year to year. Experienced gardeners do not advise growing berries for more than four years, since then they practically cease to bear fruit. It is recommended to regularly grow young bushes on the site that will bear fruit well.
Getting rid of lean bushes
Removing bushes on which fruits are not tied will help to increase fruiting. It is necessary to regularly inspect the beds in order to timely identify strawberry seedlings on which there are no berries. Such plants are carefully dug up and burned. You cannot leave the dug strawberries on the site.
Correct propagation of strawberries
Correct propagation of the berry helps to improve its fruiting. When cultivating strawberries in the beds, they adhere to the following sequence of actions:
- Soil preparation. In order for the planted seedlings to start faster and grow better, sawdust with peat is added to the soil.
- Planting. Strawberry sprouts are carefully placed in the beds so that their rosette is above the soil surface.
- Watering. All planted plants must be watered with warm water.
Mulching strawberry beds
To increase the yield of berries planted in the country, they are mulching the beds. You can use compost humus as mulch. These organic fertilizers saturate the soil with micronutrients that have a positive effect on fruiting. Also, mulching is carried out using peat.
Watering the strawberries correctly
A high level of productivity can be obtained only with proper watering of the berries. Experts advise equipping the beds with a drip or sprinkler irrigation system.
It is necessary to moisten the soil daily so that it does not have time to dry out.
Only with sufficient moisture will it be possible to increase fruiting. In early spring, it is not necessary to fill the bushes and therefore they are watered every 2-4 days.
Timely feeding of strawberries
Strawberry seedlings are fed during the period of active flowering. At the same time, fertilizers are applied at least three times during the season. Experts recommend adding fertilizers to the soil after rains or watering, when the soil is moistened. The most suitable substances for strawberries include mullein, urea and nitrophosphate. 1-2 liters of solution are consumed per bush.
Removing excess leaves and whiskers from strawberries
Strawberry seedlings spend nutrients not only on the formation and ripening of berries, but also on reproduction. Therefore, gardeners are advised to periodically remove antennae and leaves from adult bushes, which slow down the development of fruits.
Protecting strawberries from pests
The berry is often attacked by pests. To protect the plant, it is necessary to periodically treat the seedlings with fungicidal agents. Also, for the prevention of pests, dry and damaged leaves are removed from the bushes.
When growing strawberries, yields may deteriorate. Therefore, it is recommended to figure out in advance the main ways to increase the fruiting of strawberry bushes.