We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Kumato tomatoes have one distinguishing feature, according to which they cannot be confused with any other tomato variety - a black shade. The appearance of such a color is due to the presence in the composition of certain substances that are responsible for cellular regeneration, activation of the anti-aging function, for example, anthocyanin belongs to such substances.
Interestingly, such black tomatoes of the Kumato variety contain an increased amount of vitamins. For example, the level of vitamin C in them exceeds that in yellow and red tomatoes by 2 to 3 times.
Black Kumato tomatoes are especially popular among European summer residents and the population of Turkey. This popularity is due to the following description of the variety:
- indeterminacy of the bush: many plants grow more than 2 meters in height;
- the stem of Kumato tomatoes is strong, bristly, and has a liana-like structure;
- characterized by medium foliage;
- more than 8 fruiting brushes are formed on the plant;
- the rhizome of tomatoes of the Kumato variety rapidly grows in different directions by more than 0.5 meters, and the spread occurs without deepening;
- leaves are characterized by small size and dark green tint;
- the structure of the leaf is normal, typical for most tomato varieties, with a wrinkled surface;
- tomato variety Kumato differs in that the first inflorescence is formed over 9 leaves, and the subsequent ones - with a frequency of 1 - 2 leaves;
- the description of Kumato tomatoes says that this variety belongs to the mid-season - in most cases, the ripening period approaches late;
- the first harvest can be obtained 120 days after seedling germination;
- one bush gives an average yield of 8 kilograms of fruit, and many summer residents harvest 15 kilograms of tomatoes from 1 square meter;
- the average weight of the fetus is 80 grams;
- fruits have a rounded, low-ribbed shape;
- tomato diameter - 5 - 7 centimeters;
- the dense skin is chocolate-colored, some fruits have green stripes;
- Kumato has a very important characteristic: it is resistant to most tomato diseases.
Reviews of summer residents claim that it is best to grow this tomato variety in greenhouse structures. In greenhouses, the Kumato tomato must be shortened. To create a favorable environment for the formation and ripening of fruits, the top of the bush is usually pinched upon reaching a height of 2 meters.
In open field conditions, cultivation is available, but in this case, the plantings should be insulated.
Advantages and disadvantages
The Kumato tomato variety has a number of advantages. The main one is the composition of the fruit, which is characterized by the content of a huge spectrum of nutrients. Most summer residents distinguish as advantages:
- good yield;
- tomatoes in sizes as for selection;
- fast germination of seeds;
- fruity sweet taste;
- attractive aroma;
- the possibility of long-term transportation;
- resistance to temperature rise, heat;
- disease resistance.
The main disadvantage is the color of the tomato, which alarms people. However, anyone who has planted and tasted these tomatoes at least once says: "I will plant them next season as well." Most gardeners agree on the optimal way to use the crop: "I grow the Kumato variety of tomatoes for fresh consumption, making soups, salads, and hot dishes."
Such tomatoes, due to their dense skin, are excellently canned. Many housewives prepare tomato paste from the crop or squeeze juice, which has a characteristic fruit and berry flavor.
It is interesting that the taste, beneficial properties and vitamins contained in ripe fruits are not lost under the influence of high temperatures.
Growing and care
To get the maximum yield, it is necessary to properly grow and care for this variety of tomatoes. Sowing seeds should be organized according to the following instructions:
- It is best to plant seeds of this variety in early March.
- All seeds should be disinfected before sowing. To do this, they are immersed in a weak solution of potassium permanganate, and then washed with water.
- The planting material is soaked in any growth promoter.
- The soil is being prepared. The soil must be disinfected and steamed to exclude the presence of pathogens.
- Before planting, the soil should be warmed up to 22 degrees.
- Sow seeds to a depth of 20 millimeters. A distance of 2 centimeters should be maintained between the material.
- The planted material is watered with settled water and covered with polyethylene. Such a shelter allows you to create a moist environment favorable for seed germination.
- The pots are rearranged in a warm, lighted place.
- Shoots appear approximately on the 5th day. At this time, the coating should be removed.
- After the development of 2 formed leaves, the seedlings are dived into separate containers and fed with mineral fertilizers.
- The plant should be hardened 14 days before planting. To do this, move the container to the balcony for a couple of hours or take it out into the fresh air.
It is necessary to water the seedlings only as the soil dries up. Watering is carried out on the soil, moisture is not allowed on the seedlings themselves.
You can plant seedlings in a greenhouse structure in mid-May, and in open ground conditions - in the last days of May or early June, after the end of the frost.
Seedlings should be planted in the soil in the holes treated with phosphorus fertilizer, at a distance of 0.5 meters from each other. After planting, the plant is immediately tied to the erected individual support structures. The garter should only be worn with synthetic materials.
This tomato variety is easy to care for. To ensure a favorable environment for development, only a few guidelines need to be followed:
- Weed, water and loosen the soil near the tomato only when necessary.
- Black tomatoes respond well to mulching.
- The variety should be fed with mullein and other mineral fertilizers. Top dressing is carried out strictly according to the schedule - once every 10 days.
- The lateral and lower processes of the Kumato variety should be pinned.
Despite the fact that such black tomatoes are resistant to a large number of tomato pathologies, it is recommended to carry out preventive treatment using pest and disease control agents.
With proper care, the formed Kumato variety bush will delight the summer resident not only with its health, but also with a rich harvest of tomatoes with excellent taste.