High-yielding table potatoes "Janka" relatively recently began to be cultivated by Russian vegetable growers. The variety compares favorably with good resistance to a whole range of diseases, and is also characterized by excellent taste characteristics of the fruit. The originator of the variety is the National Research Center of NAS of Belarus for potato growing and horticulture. Potato "Yanka" is included in the State register of the Russian Federation for the North-West region.
Bushes of potatoes of medium height, semi-erect type, well leafy. Corollas of flowers in inflorescences are medium-sized, white. Leaves of medium size, open type, light green staining.
Root crops are oval in shape, covered with a slightly mesh yellow peel with superficial small eyes. The average weight of one root crop does not exceed 105 g. The flesh of the potato is beige and cream in color, with a starch content of not more than 17.6%. The period from seedlings to the technical maturity of root crops, subject to agricultural technology and favorable weather conditions, does not exceed 90-110 days.
Potato "Janka" is characterized by excellent taste and high commodity rates. The plant has an increased immunity to diseases such as the golden cyst-forming potato nematode (RO-1), the usual cancer type (1). In addition, there is a high resistance to viruses X, U, L, M. The variety is highly resistant to mechanical damage and shows excellent indicators of crop keeping.
A sufficiently high susceptibility of the cultivar to the S virus, as well as the common scab, implies the implementation of effective measures to protect plantings from these diseases. Subject to cultivation technology, the total yield indicators of high-quality root crops reach 62.6 t / ha.
How to grow potatoes
Potato "Janka" is not picky about the type of soil. Cutting seed tubers is not recommended. It is advisable to plant the material prepared for planting shallow, adhering to the following rules:
- the weight of potato tubers intended for planting should not be less than 30 g and more than 90 g;
- tubers must undergo a visual inspection for the absence of rot and other diseases, and also be landscaped at a temperature of +12 ° C in good light;
- in order to increase productivity and accelerate the emergence of seedlings, it is recommended to treat the tubers with a solution of "heteroauxin" or "Epin"
- a potato plot should be prepared from the fall, and in the spring, re-digging and cleaning of weeds are carried out if necessary;
- depending on the qualitative composition of the soil, landing can be carried out both on a flat surface by a trench or nesting method, and on ridges or ridges.
In the process of planting, it is recommended to carry out local application of humus with ash directly under the planted tubers in holes or trenches. If necessary, preserve moisture in the soil and protect early seedlings from return frosts, it is allowed to mulch the soil with natural components, including straw or sawdust.
Most potato growers prefer potatoes of the Yanka variety due to its unpretentiousness and guaranteed high yield. As a rule, the main care of the plant is to maintain the soil in the area in a loose, breathable condition, as well as systematically destroy the weeds until they reach a significant height.
In addition, it is desirable to use the following agrotechnical techniques in the cultivation of potatoes:
- in case of insufficient rainfall, as well as in conditions of too high temperature indicators that cause significant evaporation of moisture from the soil, it is necessary to irrigate the plantings two weeks after emergence, during the formation of buds and in the flowering phase;
- applying a large amount of fertilizer is not required if all the rules have been met while preparing the site for planting and the soil is characterized by a fairly high level of fertility;
- for the entire growing season at least three hills of potato tops should be carried out, and the last hilling is carried out even before the stage of closing of the potato tops.
Regular inspections of plantings will allow timely detection of any damage to plants by diseases and pests and to carry out the most effective measures, including chemical treatment.
We also suggest that you familiarize yourself with the varietal characteristics of Tiras potatoes.
Potato growers reviews
Potato variety "Janka" is one of the most promising for personal cultivation. Many positive reviews are associated with the high dining qualities of the tubers, which not only have a bright potato flavor and pronounced aroma, but are also slightly digested, which makes them suitable for most culinary dishes.
Potato "Yanka": harvest
According to gardeners, potatoes of this variety are highly resistant to nematodes and viruses, medium resistant to black leg damage, wet rot and late blight. Such characteristics can significantly reduce the level of use of insectofungicides and as a result get a more environmentally friendly vegetable products. In addition, the variety is distinguished by high marketability and good keeping quality, and is also able to use the natural soil fertility as efficiently as possible.