We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Everyone loves raspberries. Sung in dozens of folk songs, tasty, fragrant and healthy berry growing on thorny bushes is found in all gardens. Hundreds of its varieties are known with multi-colored - scarlet, white, yellow and even black berries. Growing raspberries is quite simple. But nevertheless, in order not to be only with prickly bushes and small berries occasionally found on them, you need to know the rules necessary to obtain a plentiful raspberry crop. One of the prerequisites for success in this matter is the proper garter of berry bushes.
What is a raspberry garter for?
Most common varieties of red and yellow raspberries need a garter. The reason here is that the branches of these bushes are very flexible and brittle. The stems break both from rains, and from gusty winds, and simply from the weight of the fruits hanging abundantly on them.
And picking berries in dense, randomly growing thorny shrubs is simply impossible. Not to mention the fact that large and sweet raspberries grow only in well-lit sunny areas. Therefore, the garter of such bushes is needed. It is carried out in early spring, when the buds have not yet opened, and before winter. In the second case, this contributes to a better wintering of raspberries.
Garter methods, their advantages and disadvantages
There are several ways to tie raspberry bushes:
- Kolova, when a bundle of stems in 6-7 shoots is attached at a height of one and a half meters to a two-meter stake located in the center of the bush. At the same time, the crown of a high stalk, curved in an arcuate manner, is also attached to such a support.
- Fan-shaped. In this case, the stakes are placed between the bushes, on each side only half of the bush is tied to such a stake. To the right of the support is half of one bush, and to the left is half of the neighboring bush.
- Tapestry, where various structures with columns with a wire stretched between them are used as a support.
The first method of garters is quite simple, economical and does not require much time to implement it. Usually it is used for small raspberries. In addition to wooden stakes, metal pipes or reinforced concrete poles are used as supports. The disadvantages of this method are as follows:
- uneven lighting of shoots;
- slow development of ovaries inside the bush;
- insufficient protection of all branches from breaking;
- the risk of various diseases in thickened plantings.
With a fan garter of bushes, all the stems are lit evenly, harvesting is simplified, and vertically directed annual branches growing in the middle of the bush do not break. But this method is rarely used in large gardens.
Raspberry: Garter Features
The most progressive is the trellis method of tying raspberry branches. It is used in large gardens where raspberries are planted in rows. Such landings are not afraid of the winds, because of the uniform illumination, plants rarely get sick. Yes, and protect raspberries from pests, and picking berries in these areas is much easier. All these factors lead to an almost double increase in the raspberry crop.
Types of trellis garter
There are several types of trellis with different purposes.
In this case, the wire between the pillars is stretched at three levels - 75, 105 and 165 cm from the ground. This structure is compact and can be located even in small gardens. Each stem is tied separately. All of them are protected from winter winds, well lit. But when harvesting, young twigs can be broken if you do not tie them to the bottom row of wire. At this time, they are afraid of sudden strong winds.
The technology for installing this support is as follows:
- two-meter (or more) poles are dug almost half a meter into the ground;
- place them at a distance of about 4 meters from one another;
- first install the extreme posts with props, and then the rest;
- Three rows of wire are pulled onto them using special bolts and staples.
Two half-meter crossbars are fixed on poles. At their ends, a wire is pulled. At the same time, its lower row is 0.9 m above the ground, and the upper one is at a height of one and a half meters. With this system, the number of shoots in the same area increases significantly, which significantly affects the yield of berries. But collecting it, however, with a similar method of tying bushes is difficult. And the danger of breaking stems that are not tied to wire, in this case is quite high.
The wire is stretched on one meter cross, located a meter from the ground. The columns in this case are paired, up to one and a half meters high. They dig half a meter into the earth, and the distance between the pairs of pillars is 1 meter. In this case, the same interval between adjacent pairs of supports is maintained as in the previous cases. Braiding the wire, shoots with this method of garter form a V-shaped profile.
This is a complex structure that allows you to change the position of the support from vertical to horizontal. It also provides the ability to change the angle of inclination of the crossbars (with shoots fixed to them) by 120 degrees. This makes harvesting as easy as possible. In addition, such a flexible design allows you to not shoot shoots for the winter from the support. In addition, young twigs are constantly well lit, which allows them to gain enough strength to fully replace the old shoots.
Growing raspberries without garter
Some varieties of yellow and red raspberries, with straight and thick shoots up to 1.8 meters high, not bending under the weight of the fruit, can still be grown without supports. This, for example, varieties Rubin, Spirin white, Bulgarian, Coral.
For the correct formation of a bush of such plants, proceed as follows:
- in the first year, young shoots are not cut, which ensures the formation of a strip of them with a width of 70 cm;
- subsequently, all shoots crossing this border are cut out;
- thinning offsprings is carried out inside the strip, leaving an interval of up to 20 cm between them. At the same time, their number is reduced to 20 copies per square meter.
But this raspberry growing system, although quite productive, is still not perfect. Often it is not possible to avoid thickening of plantings, leading to the death of insufficiently lit central shoots, as well as the appearance of fungal diseases on them.
How to care for raspberries
So, the answers to the questions on how to properly tie raspberries and why do it, are received. And although this is a rather troublesome business, even an inexperienced gardener can do it. And the result of such a garter of berry bushes can be used in the first season. And this is an abundance of delicious, fragrant and juicy berries.